Monday, December 13, 2010

My visit to The Alps Bistro in Historic Allentown, New Jersey


The Alps Bistro, Allentown, New Jersey
Casual European Fare in New Jersey!


During a bleak, rainy Sunday afternoon, I paid a visit to the Historic Village of Allentown, New Jersey.  I had no intention of staying there for lunch, but as soon as I encountered The Alps Bistro on Main Street, I knew I had to try it!  I had visited this town several years ago and this particular location used to be a Tea Room.  Apparently, the Tea Room closed down last year, and it's now been replaced by The Alps Bistro.

New Jersey is now seriously lacking in restaurants that serve good German food.  Many of the old staples, such as the delectable Fritzy's German American Restaurant in Howell, are now sadly a thing of the past.

Upon entering we were greeted by friendly staff, and seated immediately.

Soon, hot tea, soda, and steaming hot salty pretzels were placed before us, accompanied by some lovely hot mustard.
Soda is served in a jar style mug!
Hot, salty pretzels with hot mustard!
























I ordered the Schnitzel of the Day, which happened to be Chicken Schnitzel.  It was served with Rotkohl (Red Cabbage), and Deutsche Kartoffel Salat (German Potato Salad).  I ordered an extra side of spaetzle and sauerkraut too, not because I was that hungry, but because I wanted to taste them, as they are pretty much what you would expect to eat at an establishment like this.

The schnitzel was moist and flavorful, although I am used to a very thin schnitzel, and this was a tad thicker than I expected it to be.  The accompanying cranberry mustard relish was a perfect accompaniment to this chicken schnitzel.  

The German Potato Salad was lovely and vinegary, as you would expect, but the bacon could have been chopped a little smaller.  As I forked a potato, a nearly two inch strip of bacon would flop about the potato.  It doesn't make for easy eating.  But aside from the size of the bacon, it was a very good potato salad.

Chicken Schnitzel.
No complaints about the sauerkraut or the red cabbage either, but I wasn't a fan of the spaetzle.  I found it to be a little rubbery and lacking in flavor.  Or maybe the other flavors were so strong, they overwhelmed the spaetzle.  In any event, in the future, I will skip the spaetzle and focus on the delicious German Potato Salad, instead.
Apfelstrudel. 


For dessert, Apfelstrudel (Apple Strudel), which is freshly made with golden raisins, walnuts, sprinkled with powdered sugar, and served with Swal's Vanilla Ice Cream!  Absolutely delicious!

If you visit on weekends, they now serve cheese fondue!  Considering the fact that The Melting Pot is one of my all time favorite places to eat, I can't wait to head back to The Alps Bistro to try out their fondue!  

Prices are very affordable, with Entrees ranging from $8.25 to around $11.00, and wursts and sandwiches are around $6.00 - $9.00.  In fact, I didn't see anything on the menu over $11.00!  This is incredibly good value for a meal of this quality. 

I can't say enough good things about the afternoon repast I enjoyed here.  It's such a wonderful departure from the endless number of impersonal restaurant chains we are bombarded with everywhere.  If you want to spend some time in this wonderful little quintessential American town, be sure to stop by this tiny, intimate bistro, where you will feel like you are more like a guest in an old friends home than a paying customer in a restaurant.


The Alps Bistro
4 S Main StAllentownNJ 08501
Phone: 609-223-0335
Lunch Hours: 
Tuesday - Saturday 11:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Sunday 12:00 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.

This little bistro has wonderful ambiance.
The Alps Bistro is small and intimate.
Probably the most family friendly bistro ever.
A cozy atmosphere.
The Alps Bistro was decked out for Christmas.
A nice surprise! Cheese Fondue on weekends. 
I'll be back!




- The Sassi Wench

No comments: